Austin, TX (April 24, 2020) — Each week, Indeed shares the latest information on the impact COVID-19 is having on the labor market, job seekers and employers.
Here’s what happened the week of April 20, 2020:
- Worries from American workers about losing their job continue to decrease, from its peak at 51% in Week 3 of Indeed’s pulse survey results, to 48% in Week 4, and now 45% in Week 5. See the latest survey here.
- Last week, 4.4. Million Americans filed for unemployment. Indeed’s Research Director Nick Bunker said “Employers are also unlikely to be hiring at the same levels they were before the pandemic. As of April 16, job postings on Indeed were down 34 percent compared with last year.” Read more in the Washington Post.
- Despite the dire unemployment claims, companies are still hiring. Over 500,000 jobs are added to Indeed each week in the U.S. alone. Here are just some of the companies who are hiring right now:
- Taco Bell
- Fiesta Mart
- CSL Plasma
- Food Lion
- Indeed Chief Economist Jed Kolko analyzed which metros in the U.S. had the biggest decrease in job postings – here is what he found:
- Honolulu led the country with a 45% drop in job postings, followed by Provo, UT; Miami,FL; Orlando,FL; and Portland, OR.
- You can see the full study here.
- So far in 2020, the trend in job postings, a real-time measure of labor market activity, is 33.7% lower than in 2019, as of April 16.
- Indeed announced new product features to help those who have lost their jobs due to COVID-19. They include:
- #Readytowork – Job seekers can add this hashtag to their resume, indicating to employers that they are ready to work any job now, and employers can filter to find them. To date, over 1 million job seekers have added this to their resume.
- Virtual Hiring Events – Job seekers can sign up to attend open virtual interviews hosted by employers looking to hire for a role or set of roles. Indeed provides the technology, which manages RSVPs, screening, scheduling and automated reminders, so all job seekers need to do is show up and interview.
- Remote Work tag: A new search filter has been added that lets job seekers filter roles that have been identified as remote, either directly tagged by employers or based on language in the job description. Filtered searches will include those that are fully remote, as well as jobs that are remote temporarily due to COVID-19.
More people find jobs on Indeed than anywhere else. Indeed is the #1 job site in the world (comScore, March 2019) and allows job seekers to search millions of jobs in more than 60 countries and 28 languages. More than 250 million people each month search for jobs, post resumes, and research companies on Indeed, and Indeed delivers 3X more hires than any other job site (SilkRoad Technology Source of Hire Report, 2018). For more information, visit indeed.com.
For Indeed media and press inquiries, please contact: