June 12, 2020 — Each week, Indeed shares the latest information on the impact COVID-19 is having on the labor market, job seekers and employers.
Here’s what happened the week of June 8, 2020:
- Indeed released a new poll on what employers have learned from the pandemic. Two-thirds of recruiters polled said the pandemic has had a substantial or major impact on their business, with half making changes in how they operate.
- This poll is available on Indeed’s new site, Lead with Indeed, which launched this week to provide employers, recruiters and leaders with resources to help rebuild hiring.
- Indeed announced a partnership with the state of Connecticut to help job seekers connect with employers hiring immediately through Virtual Hiring Events and a custom jobs portal.
- Economist AnnElizabeth Konkel released new research on the fastest rising job search terms on Indeed between May 23-June 5, showing young job seekers are looking for opportunities.
- AnnElizabeth Konkel also did research on interest in contact tracing jobs, which is falling as demand rises.
- Research Director Nick Bunker commented on the monthly Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey, telling Reuters “We may continue to see elevated rates of layoffs and job cuts continue to spread to other sectors, but the tidal wave of layoffs appears to be behind us”
- Another 1.5 million Americans filed for unemployment. Nick Bunker told the Washington Post, “Hiring appears to be picking up, but is far below what the labor market needs for a robust recovery.”
- Despite the dire unemployment claims, companies are still hiring. Over 500,000 jobs are added to Indeed each week in the U.S. alone. Here are just some of the companies who are hiring right now:
- FedEx Ground
- Two Men and a Truck
- Pilot Flying J
- Planet Fitness
- Sonic Drive-In
- So far in 2020, the trend in job postings, a real-time measure of labor market activity, was 32% lower than in 2019, as of June 5, the fifth week of gradual improvement.
- Indeed has rolled out several product updates to help those whose jobs have been impacted by COVID-19. More information on how job seekers can use these tools to quickly and easily connect with employers in a way that reflects the social distancing and shelter-in-place measures can be found here.
For Indeed media and press inquiries, please contact: