Weekly Insights: COVID-19, The Labor Market & Jobs
August 21, 2020 — Each week, Indeed shares the latest information on the impact COVID-19 is having on the labor market, job seekers and employers.
Here’s what happened the week of August 17, 2020:
- Indeed Career Guide released the 25 Most In-Demand High-Paying Jobs Right Now, with helpful information on how to find these jobs.
- Unemployment insurance claims are over one million this week. “Getting the virus in check dictates when there’ll be relief from this economic nightmare, and it doesn’t look like it will be soon,” said Indeed economist AnnElizabeth Konkel. Read more in the Associated Press.
- Chief Economist Jed Kolko appeared on Bloomberg TV to discuss the latest trends in job postings, including regional and sector impacts.
- Companies are still hiring. Over 500,000 jobs are added to Indeed each week in the U.S. alone. Here are just some of the companies who are hiring right now:
- The Cheesecake Factory
- FirstService Residential
- So far in 2020, the trend in job postings, a real-time measure of labor market activity, was 20.3% lower than in 2019, as of August 14, the first decline in this metric since late April.
- Indeed has rolled out several product updates to help those whose jobs have been impacted by COVID-19. More information on how job seekers can use these tools to quickly and easily connect with employers in a way that reflects the social distancing and shelter-in-place measures can be found here.
For Indeed media and press inquiries, please contact: