July 2, 2020 — Each week, Indeed shares the latest information on the impact COVID-19 is having on the labor market, job seekers and employers.
Here’s what happened the week of July 29, 2020:
- According to the jobs report that was released today, 4.8 million jobs were added last month, and the unemployment rate is at 11.1%, down from 13.3% in May. But Nick Bunker said these numbers are deceiving. He told the Wall Street Journal “The coronavirus crisis moves so quickly that these numbers are already out of date, but the signals we can read suggest the near term future is not bright.”
- Indeed released a list of the 15 most in-demand tech skills that employers are searching for right now.
- Indeed released a documentary on Lead with Indeed on the power of career transitions, especially during uncertain times in the labor market.
- Companies are still hiring. Over 500,000 jobs are added to Indeed each week in the U.S. alone. Here are just some of the companies who are hiring right now:
- Encompass Health
- Panda Restaurant Group
- Kindred Healthcare
- Sprouts Farmers Market
- Two Men and a Truck
- So far in 2020, the trend in job postings, a real-time measure of labor market activity, was 29% lower than in 2019, as of June 26, the eight week of gradual improvement.
- Indeed has rolled out several product updates to help those whose jobs have been impacted by COVID-19. More information on how job seekers can use these tools to quickly and easily connect with employers in a way that reflects the social distancing and shelter-in-place measures can be found here.
For Indeed media and press inquiries, please contact: