September 17, 2020 — Each week, Indeed shares the latest information on the impact COVID-19 is having on the labor market, job seekers and employers.
Here’s what happened the week of September 14, 2020:
- Chris Hyams was featured on Fox Business and Cheddar news broadcasts this week to announce the launch of Indeed’s Virtual Hiring Tour. The Virtual Hiring Tour is free for employers and job seekers, and aims to get 20,000 people hired with over 700 participating employers in the US.
- Another 860,000 people filed for first-time unemployment benefits last week. Economist AnnElizabeth Konkel told NBC News, “Overall, a fuller labor market recovery appears to have stalled out… Until this cycle is broken, a complete economic recovery remains out of reach.”
- Companies are still hiring. Over 500,000 jobs are added to Indeed each week in the U.S. alone. Here are just some of the companies who are hiring right now:
- CommuniCare Health Services
- Allstate Insurance
- So far in 2020, the trend in job postings, a real-time measure of labor market activity, was 18.7% lower than in 2019, as of September 11, a third straight week of slight improvement.
- Indeed has rolled out several product updates to help those whose jobs have been impacted by COVID-19. More information on how job seekers can use these tools to quickly and easily connect with employers in a way that reflects the social distancing and shelter-in-place measures can be found here.
For Indeed media and press inquiries, please contact: